Literacy Narrative

Literacy Narrative:

On my first day of college I was given two literary works to analyze. I was given a 1964 painting called “The Problem We All Live With” by Norman Rockwell. Some of my other classmates were given a political cartoon that depicted secretary of education Betsy Devos which was created by Glenn MCcoy in 2017. Rockwell’s painting “ The Problem We All Live With” seemed to be familiar. However, the political cartoon of Devos wasn’t so familiar because I wasn’t into politics, I did not know who she was. I was amazed after what I heard in class and I acknowledged what exactly these two literary pieces conveyed.

The painting, “The Problem We All Live With,” by Norman Rockwell portrayed Ruby Bridges holding a ruler but to her front and back there are U.S. marshals. Most essentially, this demonstration could either depict a sense of hope or pessimism. Betsy Devos on the other hand was blocked by protesters and beside her was a thrown tomato and the word CONSERVATIVE drawn with huge letters on the wall. Both Bridges and Devos were portrayed very small in such a tyrannical society. I understood about the controversy surrounding MCcoy’s political cartoon on Betsy Devos after considering the discussions made during class. The image of Bridges was supposedly linked with Betsy Devos. I believe the purpose of this was to inform readers about the reality of society and the fact that no matter what race one belongs to, society will always be cynical towards certain figures that aim at making a specific change.

Others found the link disturbing and so did I. After well consideration of the two literary works, I was not very fond of the comparison made between Bridges and Devos. I feel very antithetical towards this comparison because Bridges was an African-American hero who fought to end segregation in schools. On the other hand, our political figure Betsy Devos was a white billionaire who was trying to take over the public educational system. Rockwell’s “The Problem We All Live With” is historically nonfiction while Glenn MCcoy’s political cartoon of Devos is satire and historically fiction. Considering Bridges’ innocence in a white-dominated society while trying to defend a politician was very unethical of the media to do. While political cartoons can, at times, enlighten many, I do not admire them much. Take MCcoy’s political cartoon for example. The cartoon is very controversial and it seemed to depict many messages that one may not seem to comprehend. Historical paintings are more realistic and I feel much more attached and enlightened to them. I was once told by my 10th grade teacher to paint a drawing while reflecting back to history. I chose to draw Helen Keller laying out her hand into a faucet (it was the moment when she first learned how to speak). I also chose to write about this painting of mine and just by that one piece, I was able to extract many points that it conveyed. I mastered at being a visual learner and I grew passion for writing because of it.

During seventh grade of my middle school, me and my classmates read “To Kill A Mockingbird,” by Harper Lee during English class. This book partly signified how racism and prejudice was a major problem in the south during the 1900s. The images of Bridges and Devos reminded me of a chapter in “To Kill a Mockingbird.” The chapter where Tom Robinson was held at trial for accusations of rape reminded me of the latest of hope African Americans had back in the 1900s. To add on, the critics given to Atticus (a white lawyer) for choosing to defend Robinson corresponds to the cartoon of Betsy Devos and the reactions to the political cartoon itself. For being a white lawyer and choosing to defend an African American “suspect,” Atticus was attacked verbally by society. Similarly the white politician Betsy Devos was opposed as well, while being under the control of the educational system. Most essentially, this juxtaposition conveyed to me that no matter what race one belonged to, society would always serve as a barrier for them. Rockwell’s painting “The Problem We All Live With,” reminded me of the supreme court case, “Brown vs the Board of Education” (1954) and its ruling. In consideration of this case, a 9-year-old African American girl named Linda Brown was prohibited from entering an all-white school. This prevention led her parents to take the case to the supreme court. Most essentially, this case put an end to the motto “Separate but equal” and it finally led to the desegregation of the educational system in the U.S. After reflecting back to this case, I thought about how Bridges was not the only young girl fighting to practice the same rights as everyone else. I thought about how much of an effort it took to put an end to segregation and the fact that the dilemma of racism was ongoing even after the ruling in “Brown v. Board of Education.”

Rockwell’s iconic painting “The Problem We All Live With” and MCcoy’s political cartoon depicting Betsy Devos made me feel very pensive. I had gotten deep into thought regarding society back in the 1900s and society in the modern world. I began to reflect on how society would just throw words right at another that they were opposed to. Nowadays people have easier platforms with the help of social media. Through social media, either positivity or negativity can be spread under the fingertips of the person that put their message into effect. Saying something on an issue is a basic social norm in the modern world. The painting of Rockwell made me feel proud. I believe Bridges lived by the motto “if there’s life, then there’s hope.” Many figures back in the 1900s stood up for what was right which allowed them to survive society and its ongoing torments. Similarly, there are many activists in the modern era who are fighting for stronger rights to education and other contemporary issues throughout the globe.

By discussing these two images in class, I acknowledged that people from different backgrounds have different responses towards the issue of racism. However, as I analyzed the political cartoon of Betsy Devos I came about acknowledging that it’s intended audience are those who feel empathy for Devos. Acknowledging the comparison made between Bridges and Devos made me feel sad because despite being a 6-year-old African-American, Bridges was determined to desegregate schools. The iconic painting, actually intended to celebrate this  bravery and courage, Bridges held on to in the midst of such a tyrannic society. Viewing this image made me sad because it reminded me of a time when my hispanic “friend” told me she didn’t want to sit next to me in class or talk to me simply because of where I was from. Coming from a South Asian background, I aimed at making friends that were from around the world. This is because I was taught that at the end of the day we were all from the human race and the factor of race should not be the cause of separation among each other. This reflection of my encounter with this “friend” made me feel so much sympathy for Bridges as she fought to bring people together. As mature grown-ups, people should pay heed to this painting by teaching their children about certain morals. These morals will guide children when living among such a tormenting society and they can then pass them on for future generations.

In conclusion, I am pleased that Ms. K passed out “The Problem We All Live With” by Norman Rockwell and Glenn MCcoy’s cartoon of Betsy Devos, because it reminded us about the fact that racism is inevitable. I thought about how the media perceives the wrong people as the victim and they make misleading juxtapositions when it comes to addressing issues of racism and prejudice. I also reflected back to Harper Lee’s “To Kill A Mockingbird” and the supreme court case “Brown vs. the Board of Education.” Putting together these two pieces with Rockwell’s painting showed the main issue of prejudice better than the political cartoon of Betsy Devos. With well consideration of “The Problem We All Live With” and the political cartoon of Devos, we can come to the positive stance that no matter what race one belongs to, society will always be cynical and it will be in the way of another’s occupation or goal.